The 2nd and 3rd Grade Language Arts Courses include the following components:
- Teaching Your Children to Read Using the Book of Mormon Unit 2 or 3
- Carefully crafted literature studies with simple, engaging writing studies to enjoy with your child. Two, full-year literature and writing studies are for both 2nd and 3rd Grade combined. Visit our Explorers Literature and Writing Studies page to learn about this offering available now and anytime, for enrolled self-paced students and independent students. Visit our Discoverers Literature and Writing Studies to learn about this offering for enrolled Self-Paced Program students and independent students for 2022-2023.
- Enrolled Self-Paced Program students receive a personal account on IXL, an online learning software which teaches and reinforces foundational language arts skills, at no extra cost. Independent students may purchase an IXL account from us for $15 per school year.
For the 2nd and 3rd Grade enrolled Self-Paced Program students, Ensign Peak Academy provides:
- Suggested schedule and pacing guide
- Access to our carefully designed lessons in Canvas, our online learning management system, with step-by-step lessons
- Simple book studies, each comprising four weeks of study. Book studies include discussion questions and activities for each book.
- Writing projects, one for each four weeks of school, with simple instructions for completing the study with your child
- A list of enrichment activities
- Family read-aloud suggestions
- Mentor meetings (enrolled students only)
- One monthly book club, for the month’s literature study, held on Wednesdays. The book club includes discussion and an activity. For the 2022-2023 school year, Book Club will follow the Discoverers Literature List. (enrolled students only)
For the 2nd and 3rd Grade courses, parents provide:
- Daily instruction and accountability
- Access to a computer or tablet (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Materials necessary to complete the activities and assignments, including any needed books.
- Access to the Zoom meeting platform and a set of headphones with a microphone for mentor meetings (enrolled students only, visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Reinforcement of good online etiquette
- Enrichment opportunities
- Lots of love!
Parents are responsible to keep a portfolio of their child’s work and a list of books read by the child individually and read-aloud for review with a caring Ensign Peak Academy Mentor. Parents may choose to attend the twice yearly mentor meetings with their child.