The 2nd and 3rd Grade Language Arts Courses include the following components:
- Teaching Your Children to Read Using the Book of Mormon Unit 2 or 3
- Nine carefully crafted literature studies with nine simple, engaging writing studies to enjoy with your child. Two, full-year literature and writing studies are for both 2nd and 3rd Grade combined. Visit our Explorers Literature and Writing Studies page to learn about our offering for 2021-2022. Our Discoverers Literature and Writing Studies will be available for 2022-2023.
- Enrolled students receive a personal account on IXL, an online learning software which teaches and reinforces foundational language arts skills.
For the 2nd and 3rd Grade courses, Ensign Peak Academy provides:
- A caring mentor (enrolled students only)
- Suggested schedule and pacing guide
- Access to our carefully designed lessons in Canvas, our online learning management system, with step-by-step lessons
- Nine simple book studies, each comprising four weeks of study. Book studies include discussion questions and activities for each book.
- Nine fairy tale based writing projects, one for each four weeks of school, with simple instructions for completing the study with your child
- A list of enrichment activities
- Family read-aloud suggestions
- Monthly mentor meetings (enrolled students only)
- One monthly book club, for the month’s literature study, held on Wednesdays. The book club includes discussion and an activity. For the 2021-2022 school year, Book Club will follow the Explorers Literature List. (enrolled students only)
For the 2nd and 3rd Grade courses, parents provide:
- Daily instruction and accountability
- Access to a computer or tablet (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Materials necessary to complete the activities and assignments, including any needed books.
- Access to the Zoom meeting platform and a set of headphones with a microphone (enrolled students only) (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Reinforcement of good online etiquette
- Enrichment opportunities
- Lots of love!
Parents are responsible to keep a portfolio of their child’s work and a list of books read by the child individually and read-aloud for review with a caring Ensign Peak Academy Mentor. Parents may choose to attend the twice yearly mentor meetings with their child.