The 2nd and 3rd Grade Language Arts Courses include the following components:
- Teaching Your Children to Read Using the Book of Mormon Unit 2 or 3
- Nine carefully crafted literature studies to enjoy with your child.
- Simple and engaging writing activities. The activities for the 2021-2022 school year will focus on favorite childhood fairy tales.
- Enrolled students receive a personal account on IXL, an online learning software which teaches and reinforces foundational Language Arts skills.
Ensign Peak Academy’s Language Arts Studies may be taken either independently or enrolled.
For the 2nd and 3rd Grade courses, Ensign Peak Academy provides:
- A caring mentor (enrolled students only)
- Suggested schedule and pacing guide
- Access to our carefully designed lessons in Canvas, our online learning management system, with step-by-step lessons
- Nine simple book studies, each comprising four weeks of study. Book studies include discussion questions and activities for each book.
- Nine fairy tale based writing projects, one for each four weeks of school, with simple instructions for completing the study with your child
- A list of enrichment activities
- Family read-aloud suggestions
- Two portfolio reviews each year (enrolled students only)
- One monthly book club, for the month’s literature study, held on Wednesdays. The book club includes discussion and an activity. (enrolled students only)
For the 2nd and 3rd Grade program, parents provide:
- Daily instruction and accountability
- Access to a computer or tablet (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Materials necessary to complete the activities and assignments, including any needed books.
- Access to the Zoom meeting platform and a set of headphones with a microphone (enrolled students only) (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Reinforcement of good online etiquette
- Enrichment opportunities
- Lots of love!
Parents are responsible to keep a portfolio of their child’s work and a list of books read by the child individually and read-aloud for review with a caring Ensign Peak Academy Mentor. Parents may choose to attend the twice yearly mentor meetings with their child.
2nd and 3rd Grade Literature and Writing courses are divided into two schedules, each named after a type of adventurer. Schedules may be taken in any order. For the 2021-2022 school year, Book Club will follow the Explorers Literature List. To learn more about the literature and writing projects included in each schedule click the links below:
Explorers Literature and Writing Studies (Available 2021-2022)
Discoverers Literature and Writing Studies (Future Release)