The 4th-6th Grade Language Arts courses include the following components:
- Carefully crafted literature studies*
- Engaging writing studies* to help your child develop skills in essay writing, creative writing, public speaking, letter writing, and poetry.
- Enrolled Live program and Self-Paced Program students receive a personal account on IXL, an online learning software which teaches and reinforces foundational language arts skills, at no extra charge. Independent students may purchase an IXL account from us for $15 per school year.
- Enrolled Live program and Self-Paced Program students receive a personal typing.com account.
*Three, full-year literature and writing studies are for 4th, 5th and 6th Grades combined. Visit our Trailblazers Literature and Writing Studies to learn about this offering available now and anytime, for Self-Paced Program and independent students. It will be offered for Live Program students for 2024-2025. Visit our Voyagers Literature and Writing Studies to learn about this offering for Live Program and Self-Paced Program and independent students for 2022-2023. The Pathfinders Literature and Writing Studies will be available for 2023-2024.
For the 4th-6th Grade courses, Ensign Peak Academy provides:
- The option to enroll in Live Program courses taught on Zoom by caring mentors, or to enroll in Self-Paced Program courses in which the student has access to all course material but does not attend live classes on Zoom. For both options, students submit assignments to their mentor.
- Schedule and pacing guide (correlates to live classes and used as a suggestion for self-paced students.)
- Access to our carefully designed lessons in Canvas, our online learning management system, with step-by-step lessons
- Literature studies, each comprising four weeks of study. Literature studies include discussion questions, assignments and activities for each book. Literature studies use a variety of tools to facilitate discussion between mentors and students.
- Writing projects, one for each four weeks of school, with step-by-step instructions and videos made for your child.
- Suggested enrichment activities
- Family read-aloud suggestions
For the 4th-6th Grade courses, parents provide:
- Daily instruction and accountability for self-paced program students
- Support for live program students students to be ready and on time to their Zoom classes, support for outside-of-class preparation and assignments.
- Access to a computer or tablet (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Materials necessary to complete the activities and assignments, including any needed books.
- Access to the Zoom meeting platform and headphones with microphone (enrolled students only) (Visit our Technology page for complete details.)
- Reinforcement of good online etiquette
- Suggested enrichment opportunities
- Lots of love!
To learn more about the literature and writing projects included in each schedule click the links below:
Pathfinders Literature and Writing Studies (Will be available for Live Program, Self-Paced Program and independent students for 2023-2024.)
Trailblazers Literature and Writing Studies (Available now and anytime for Self-Paced Program students and independent students)
Voyagers Literature and Writing Studies Available now and anytime for self-Paced Program students and independent students.)