Kindergarten and First Grade Literature courses include the following components:
- Teaching Your Children to Read Using the Book of Mormon Unit 1 (When started in Kindergarten, Unit 1 typically takes two years to complete.)
- Carefully crafted literature studies, with corresponding activities to enjoy with your child. Our two, full-year literature studies are for both Kindergarten and 1st Grade combined. Visit our Pioneers Literature Studies page to learn about this offering available now and anytime, for self-paced and independent students. Visit our Innovators Literature Studies to learn about this offering for enrolled Self-Paced Program program students and independent students for 2022-2023.
- Enrolled Self-Paced Program students receive a personal account on IXL, an online learning software which teaches and reinforces foundational language arts skills, at no extra cost. Independent students may purchase an IXL account from us for $15 per school year.
For Kindergarten-1st Grade students who are enrolled in language arts courses, Ensign Peak Academy provides:
- Schedule and pacing guide
- Access to our thoughtfully designed lessons in Canvas, our online learning management system, with step-by-step lessons
- Caring support from mentors and administrators
- Featured books that promote wholesome values and enjoyment along with discussion questions, gospel connections and activities. (Video links for each book are provided to avoid the cost of purchasing the books.)
- Mentor reviews with students and parents based on the need of the family (Enrolled students only)
- IXL account, an online learning software which teaches and reinforces foundational language arts skills
For the Kindergarten-1st Grade language arts courses, parents provide:
- Daily instruction and accountability
- Access to a computer or tablet (Visit our Technology page for complete details)
- Materials necessary to complete the activities and assignments
- Lots of Love!
Parents of enrolled students are responsible to keep a portfolio of their child’s work and a list of books read by the child individually and read-aloud for review with a caring Ensign Peak Academy Mentor. Parents of kindergarten and first grade students should plan to attend mentor meetings with their children.